I am 49 years old and was recently diagnosed with high grade DCIS. It was confirmed by biopsy after having a mammogram with suspicious cells. Then an MRI was ordered and another sector of the same breast was found to also have suspicious cells. So I have another biopsy scheduled next week under MRI. The surgeon has explained that my treatment plan will be based upon this new MRI result and the bloodwork for the genetic testing being run. So I'm looking at either a mastectomy or lumpectomy with radiation. I'm guessing this second biopsy will find more cancer in this new sector of the breast. So I'll probably end up having a mastectomy. But then I'll need to decide whether I want to have reconstructive surgery, and whether I want them to take both breasts or just one.
“Inspire hope by becoming an advocate for breast cancer prevention.”spread the word